Friday, May 18, 2012

Comparing Secura & Nuwave Convection Ovens

Hi,

Since my last post I purchased and am using a new Secura Halogen Convection oven and so far, I like it very much. I've packed up my old Nuwave Oven and am giving it to a friend who has told me repeatedly that he wished he had one. I'm a little embarrassed about the color of the plastic dome on the NWO but it can't be helped (as far as I know). I've tried soaking it, and using baking soda on a scrubby sponge but it is simply baked into the plastic and won't come out. My friend wondered if CLR would work on it, but I had to remind him that it is plastic. Anyway, he will get the opportunity to own one and use it and see if he likes it.

I also included the original operating manual and the laminated cooking chart that came with the oven. I scanned the cooking chart so I would still have a copy of it for myself in case I needed it for the new oven.  I really like being able to choose the temperature and time with the two little dials on the Secura. I did not want digital like I had on the NWO. I don't really have a reason for not wanting the digital except for maybe the readout was hard for me to see -- which is why I prefer the nice little dials: they are easier for my old eyes to read.

I've only cooked some chicken sausage links and hamburger patties in the new oven so far, but it seems to work very well. I'm still getting used to choosing the time and temp settings and have been using the manual as a guide. As I was shopping online I found an oven made by Deni with a design very similar to the Secura that had a downloadable owner's manual so I printed out one of those to give to my friend, also. It had a few nice recipes which can be used as guides.

The thing about a convection oven is that it has a fan that forces the hot air to circulate and cook the food on both sides at once. You rarely have to turn anything over because it crisps on both sides at once as long as it is on a rack and not in a pan. It also cuts the cooking time by about twenty-five percent (I think.) That is why restaurant food comes to the table so quickly, they have high powered convection ovens to get the job done fast. So when using your favorite recipe in a convection oven you will need to either lower the temperature or shorten the cooking time or both. It should only take one time to experiment and see how it works on any particular favorite recipe.

The price you pay on the two ovens is nearly identical but you get a lot more "stuff" with the Nuwave, including a carrying case, a DVD to show you how to use it, a drink mixer and a food chopper and a nice recipe book. This makes me think the Nuwave is made more cheaply because how could they provide all that free stuff and make a profit if making the Nuwave took up all the profits? That's not happening, or else they would not still be in business. But, I must certainly admit that it cooks just like they promise it will. You just have to be careful to follow the cooking instructions -- but that is true of any oven.

So why am I happy with my Secura if I didn't get any free stuff with it? I never used any of the free stuff I got with the Nuwave. The carrying case sat in a corner. The cook book got lost. I viewed the DVD when I got the oven and never needed to view it again. I don't mix drinks and I rarely chop up veggies as small as the chopper makes them, so they ended up not being of true value to me -- not that they might not be of value to someone else. I would just as soon have paid the real price for the oven and skipped the "free stuff." I suggest that the price might have been about a third of what is charged -- or half, at the very least.

And the Secura? You don't need a DVD to show you how to use it. You put your food on the rack. You set the time. You set the temperature. You turn it on. What is difficult about that? This is the same as any other oven you've used in the past. Of course there may be a few who have never used an oven before and need a little more instruction to build up their confidence. There is plenty of information on the internet if you just search for it.

The glass oven bowl in the Secura is solid, heavy and, so far, has no stains or discoloration. I am especially liking the halogen cooking device. The Nuwave has a conventional heating coil, but the Secura has a halogen light that does the cooking and it is hot almost immediately. There does not seem to be a noticeable warm up time that I can tell. As soon as it comes on, I can feel the heat through the glass bowl with my hand. And the thing that really delights me is that I can see what is cooking inside because it is completely bathed in a spot light!! It's like having a little camp fire on my counter top that glows!!  I just like it. The light cycles off and on as it adjusts the temperature inside the glass oven bowl and it has a nice loud "ding" when it is done.

I did read one or two reviews of halogen convection ovens that caught on fire or broke more easily than the Nuwave, but I would imagine you should be able to get a replacement bulb from the manufacturer. So for dependability the Nuwave cooking coil seems like it will probably last longer. But I still like that little campfire on my counter top so much better!

The only thing that I don't like about the Secura, so far, is that the little rack upon which the hot lid is placed seems a little flimsy and coated with plastic, so I wonder how long that will last. I have to pay close attention to getting it properly settled in the rack because if I miss it by a little it warps out of shape, becoming nearly impossible to correct, so I have to lift it up and start again. Did I mention the lid is heavy and hot? I may need to adjust the angle to make it easier for me to see. I never had to do that with the Nuwave. Their little rack is anchored under the bottom platform and I could even be a little careless and it would end up sitting in the right place. I could almost do it blindfolded, but that could simply be a result of experience with the appliance.

The Secura has a slightly smaller cooking area inside but I prefer it. I like to line the bottom with aluminum foil for fast cleanup but the foil that you can buy is not wide enough for the Nuwave so I always had to use two pieces and criss cross them to line the bottom. Fat and oil would often seep under the layers and I would still have a mess to clean up, but it was not a baked on mess, just an oily mess. With the Secura one piece of foil covers the whole bottom with no seeping space. When I lifted out the rack the foil came with it and there was absolutely nothing underneath that needed to be cleaned up.The bowl was as clean afterwards as it was when I started. That is a real plus!

I did like the racks on the Nuwave a little better than the ones on the Secura. The wires on the Secura racks are much farther apart and when I first looked at them as I was opening the package I wondered if food would slip down between the wide open spaces. So far, no problem. I suppose if you were cooking vegetables if you just cut them a little larger that would solve this minor problem. One advantage that I can see would be that you have fewer of those little wires to clean when you're done and you can get your sponge around them more easily, so, two checks for easier clean up on the Secura.

Here is a third check for easier clean up on the Secura. I have not tried it yet, but am looking forward to trying out the self cleaning feature. The instructions say to put about 1.5 inches of hot water in the bottom of the bowl, spritz in some dish washing detergent, put the lid on it, and turn it to "wash."  I imagine the fan creating a small tornado inside which does the cleaning for you. You just empty the bowl and rinse it out and wipe it dry. Sounds easy enough. I don't have a dishwasher so I really like this feature. If you have a dishwasher you can always place the bowl and racks in there for cleaning, too.

Clean up was always a chore for me on the Nuwave. I live in a mobile home so my sinks are extra small and the Nuwave racks and lower drip pan just barely fit in the sink. I had to use the lower drip pan to rinse the racks in, too. It seemed to save on water. Anyway, I never really enjoyed the clean up on the Nuwave, but the Secura seems to be much easier to keep clean -- and the racks now fit in my sinks. Of course the glass bowl is much heavier than the drip pan in the Nuwave, but with the aluminum foil that fits, plus the self clean feature, I don't imagine that I will be lifting it all that often.

If someone has the idea of cooking pizza in either one of these ovens they will have a problem that I learned to solve in a novel way. Most any pizza you can buy is too large for either of the racks. I learned that when I occasionally bought frozen pizza, I could cut it before I baked it (still frozen) and cook only the number of pieces that I needed, one or two at a time depending upon the size. I don't eat pizza very often because of the healthier diet that I am eating, but for those who do indulge in pizza from time to time, this suggestion may be helpful. Of course if you have a large family and need to cook the whole thing at once, then your regular oven is the place to do that.

I will make another post to talk about the coconut oil experiment in the not too distant future.

Be back soon

Marcia

P.S. You can get either one of these ovens at Amazon.com for cheaper than at the manufacturers web sites. How do they do that?  Glad they do!




8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing! I appreciate the care and detail you provided, very vivid and genuine. I was having trouble deciding myself and needed some trustworthy advice or true experiences shared. I like them both too, my only gripe was the size of the Secura. One claims the Secura bracket may not be necessary to use, but not sure if that is even safe due to the heat from the bowl. Cleaning ability is crucial too so again thanks on that. I am leaning towards the Secura too, just have to accept the size if anything. Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind comment! Very glad it was useful to you.

    Update on the plastic lid rack: I've been using it now for about six months and the plastic coating still looks brand new so it is not bothered by the heat of the lid.

    I still have to be careful to position it because of the flimsy construction but I've grown used to that. The only "upgrade" I would like to see on future models is that they might use a heavier gauge wire under the coating so it is firmer.

    Still cooks very well and I use it 3 or 4 times a week -- sometimes more. I'm happy with my little camp fire!!

    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more thing... I've noticed that what I thought were stainless steel cooking racks are actually copper wire with an unknown metal coating. I know because the coating has come off of the middle sections of both racks to reveal the copper wire underneath.

      Copper is an excellent heat conductor but I wondered if it is safe to continue cooking on. I found this at Natural Life Magazine in their article on "Safe Cooking Pots":

      "Aside from the slim possibility of leaching metals, new research suggests that copper may be a better choice for cookware than stainless steel. According to a team of researchers from the University of Southampton in England, using copper pots may lower the risk of infection from potentially deadly bacteria such as E. coli 0157.

      “Stainless steel is used throughout the world because of its perceived hygienic properties...But a closer look reveals scratches and marks that, on a microscopic scale, are more like valleys. It is very easy for pathogens to get into these crevices, and rubbing a cloth or brush across the surface may not be sufficient to get them out,” says Bill Keevil, the microbiologist who headed up the study.

      "Keevil and his team found that, at room temperature, E. coli 0157 survived for 34 days on stainless steel and only four hours on copper.

      "Some health experts, however, warn of high levels of cooper leaching that can occur when acidic foods are prepared in copper utensils, which can cause chemical toxicity and illness. Copper is both a toxic heavy metal and a mineral that is essential to good health. Symptoms of copper toxicity include trouble concentrating, tender calf muscles, unexplained nausea, irritability, hyperactivity, constant fatigue, and chronic joint pain.

      "Scientists and nutritionists agree that most diets contain enough copper to prevent a deficiency and not enough to cause toxicity. The capacity of healthy human livers to excrete copper is considerable and few cases of chronic copper poisoning have been reported.

      "So if you favor copper pots for their excellent heat conductivity, be sure the cooking surfaces are lined with tin or stainless steel. "

      My thoughts: Since I'm not talking about a "pot" but a "rack" similar to a grill I'm thinking that the amount of copper that might get into the body is much reduced. It's not like you'd be consuming liquid that has been sitting in a pot either. I only use my racks for "grilling" pieces of meat.

      I suppose if I was really worried about it, I could use a small enamel pan to hold the meat. This would, of course, reduce the "convection" effect and you would have to turn the meat over once during cooking to catch the other side.

      I did not have this happen with the Nuwave Oven racks. So this may be a large "minus" for the Secura brand.

      Marcia

      If you'd like to read the above quoted article here is the URL: http://www.naturallifemagazine.com/0112/pots.htm

      Delete
  3. Your write up was a nice perspective on both ovens, but I thought you should know the NuWave does not use a "conventional heating coil" it uses infrared technology that actually penetrates heat deeper into the food, therefore using less power to do the same job a halogen bulb will do. Both cook about the same, but sometimes the halogen from the Secura can cause food to be a tad bit drier than the Nuwave, do to how the heat penetrates the food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks John!! You're a peach to notice and to set the record straight!! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your helpful review! My Flavorwave dome cracked after being dropped accidentally. We used our Flavorwave for over 7 years, and it's our go-to appliance for cooking. Just purchased the Secura Digital Halogen oven and am reassured by your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind comment, Anonymous! Hope you enjoy your new cooking experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please note: I have now stopped using the Secura Halogen for two reasons. The first being that the racks further deteriorated to reveal another layer underneath the copper. Since I had no idea what it was, I stopped using the racks rather than to mysteriously make myself sick. I was never able to find replacements that I trusted so I just stopped using it.

    I'm also (as of the last two weeks) eating a plant based diet and have no need of a grill.

    ReplyDelete

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!