Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 37 -- Recap for Dr Ripich and Jim Healthy

Marcia McCance – 7-27-2010

Stone Mountain, Georgia

Dear Dr. Ripich, and Jim Healthy,

I would like to quantify and share the results I have noticed, from having done “The 30 Day Diabetes Cure” on my own, per your request:

Starting statistics: June 21, 2010

BP  168/99

Blood glucose after a handful of nuts, but no breakfast:  115

Weight: 352

A1C: 5.7 (measured in February)

Age:  60 years

Time 11:40 am

Current statistics: July 27, 2010

BP 148/84

Blood glucose after having salad for breakfast: 122

Weight: 344.25

A1C: 5.3 (measured after 15 days on the program)

Age: 60 years

Time 1:51 P.M.



The thing that I am most pleased with from having done “The 30 Day Diabetes Cure” is the reduction in my blood pressure numbers. I have had readings even higher than my starting numbers (up to 175/133, 182/108, 191/115) within the previous 6 months.  I still have high BP but it is now considered “moderately high” instead of “extremely high” and eye popping.  My upper number dropped 20 points and my lower number dropped 15 points and I am getting similar readings pretty consistently.  My personal doctor is also pleased with this result, especially since nearly every additional BP medication that she has prescribed, I have had either an allergic reaction to (asthma with one, itching with another), or the side effects were too much for me to bear (swelling, depression, anxiety).  I am still taking the maximum dosage of Losartan and continue with Triamterene, too. 

The very first thing that happened after starting the program was that within about three or four days, I started noticing that the skin on my hands was no longer flakey looking and dry to the touch. They suddenly became smooth and soft again, like when I was young. I had not increased my water intake, I had eliminated my sugar intake.  The speed with which this happened was very surprising to me and it has not gone away. They are still smooth and soft and I do not use lotion, only soap, water, and waterless hand sanitizer.

Another thing I am very pleased about is that the swelling in my ankles has disappeared, for the most part. I am still taking the diuretic, but I was having a lot of problems with swelling due to another HBP medication, but have noticed that since I have both stopped the other medication and also cleaned up my diet, I am having “normal feel” most of the time where I can see the bones on the top of them. (They are no longer “puffy.” )

The thing I am most disappointed with is that I really did not have a major reduction in weight. I have actually fluctuated down and up in the neighborhood of about 10 pounds. I still hover around the weight I started with. Since at any time that I weigh myself I could weigh anywhere between 342 and 352, I consider that to be my normal weight range. It is unfortunate that my doctor saw me on a heavy day and is not pleased with this. She has put me on an 1800 calorie a day diet after electronically measuring how many calories my body burns at rest which on the day she measured was 2242kcal. I am struggling with keeping me at that calorie intake level. I know that for some people that would be a really major amount of calories but, because of my current weight, I am able to process more than most normal sized people.

The program does not say that it is a “weight loss” program, but does promise this will happen as a side effect. For many people that is true, but not so much for me, as yet.  My guess about what is happening there is that, I am still learning how to do the resistance training and have not gotten my body up to speed on that, so I am not burning as many calories as I might be. I believe that when I get that really going, I may see a reduction in weight, or at least a reshaping of my body for the better, and an increase in strength.

The thing I really liked about the program was the step by step, day by day, approach where one day I deducted one or two things from my life, and the next day I would add a different thing. Not all of the additions and subtractions were easy, but they were all necessary. One change I did not make immediately was jumping on the “organic” band wagon. Even though the information in the book was quite compelling that I needed to drop out pesticides and poisons from what I was eating, being out of work at the moment makes it hard to start buying more expensive food. So I did drop out all “processed” foods, and increased my fresh vegetable intake, I continued until after the 30 days to eat regular produce. I have now switched to about eighty percent organic, though, because it just seemed like the right thing to do and how could I expect to see the promised results if I did not take the corresponding action?

The thing that has made the biggest difference in my personal attitude was the journaling (blogging) and now the calorie counting. By doing these two things, I now have a record that I cannot refute with selective memory.  The book and the journaling were a real source of encouragement for me. Dr Ripich’s way of teaching and Jim Healthy’s way of writing combined with the day by day approach made a powerful support system for me to stay on track. The blogging made me aware that I had made a commitment and was sharing with the world that I had done so. I had to be responsible if I wanted to succeed. Writing, for me, has a positive influence on my point of view, so as I wrote, even about my failures, I was able to take the more positive and healthy approach and had breakthroughs that I was not expecting. The most major one was finally ending the promise that I had made when I was in a high chair to “eat everything in sight, to keep mommy from being mad at me” which I was able to replace with “Let it go uneaten and return to the Earth.”

As to measuring my blood sugar, for a few days, especially during the whole grain incident, I measured every few hours, but for the most part I did it only enough to find out that beans do not raise it, but whole grains and fruit, do. If I know I am eating right, there is no need to obsess about it. I believe it should be checked from time to time, though, to make sure I am still on track. So I decided to revert to the phase one eating style with occasional visits with whole grains or fruit, but I cannot do them every day or my blood sugar starts to sky rocket.

When I begin to feel frustrated about the lack of weight loss, I have to remind myself that my A1C went down .4 so I am actually reversing my diabetes. There are not so many sugar molecules stuck to my red blood cells as there once was, and if I continue eating in what I call “phase one plus” (meaning no sugar, no processed foods, plenty of veggies, beans, and protein, with limited amounts of whole grains and fruit – no more than one per day) I shall continue to see success with the A1C numbers.

I think I was expecting more to happen in 30 days time based on the promises from the book, but if I look at the results realistically, I have made good progress. I am headed in the right direction. Diabetes no longer threatens to get worse in my life. I started off a pre-diabetic and I am still one, but the degree of nearness to Type 2 diabetes has been reduced. I think that is amazing and it feels like a relief that I no longer have to worry that I might someday become a full blown type 2 diabetic (Lord willing). I know that if I stay on the program, eat right, get the exercise down pat, and continue to focus on staying healthy, I should see only improvements in all the numbers, which is a satisfying feeling. Thank God!

As to “improvements to the program”… I recall when I was first starting to shop, I wished I had a list of the kinds of things I should be looking for. Most of the information is given in paragraph style and it would be nice to have a “recap” or list of the changes that are to be made for each day at the end of the writing for that day. Eliminating re-digging through the paragraphs for the information, and perhaps missing something important, would be a blessing. On some days it could be a short bulleted summary of the topic points; on other days it would be a list of items (and alternatives) that could be purchased for the day -- and on some days, both. (It also needs to be proofread – there are a few errors and a couple of places where sentences do not get completed – but not many.)

I even thought it would be nice to have a “shopping list” with encouraging sayings on the top and lines to fill in what I need to purchase – but that is not actually necessary.  The sayings would be reminders to eliminate sugar, and to eat food in the state that God gave it to us.

I recall the statement being made that I should “carefully” reintroduce whole grains, but “carefully” was not really explained and I remember wondering and worrying about that. Being a carbohydrate addict, I took that as “what ever I wanted within reason.” But my want and my reason were not, I think, a good way to reintroduce them into my life, again. It was kind of like offering a reasonable drink to an alcoholic. There really is no such thing. I had trouble controlling it.  I am glad I was concerned enough to start checking my blood sugar because I discovered that it shot way up (to the 160 range) – very much higher than I was used to having it go.  I did actually end up not being able to eat them (per my doctor’s orders) so there may be a few others out there who also cannot eat them. I’m sure a few more guidelines (or even research in relation to diabetes) about the whole grains and fruit would be useful, especially to others who, like me, maybe should not take them in yet. I can only assume that I might be able to eat them someday, but don’t believe that should be today, or anytime real soon, although I do have some on occasion. I am very grateful for the beans -- they have made a nice addition.  (See Dr Richard K. Bernstein , for more information, if interested -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_K._Bernstein.)

One thing I really liked about the program was the relaxed approach. It is an easier way to begin taking responsibility for your own health.  I did feel a little like a rebel when I was measuring my blood sugar, but still think that it was necessary for me to keep track of where I really was and also where I was headed. So, I don’t really think people should be told not to do that. Perhaps guidance on the reasons for doing it would be good, and guidance on when – but, I think, to totally eliminate it, only invites mistakes and misconceptions.

I also felt a little left behind when it came to the introduction of the exercise phase. I needed more direction. I have found the direction I need from another internet program called “The Fat Burning Furnace” – http://www.fatburningfurnace.com/ -- I do not care for the advertising approach they are using to sell it, but have found the program information to be well presented and accurate. I am only now beginning to incorporate the instructions, so cannot give, “final” results for that program, but, at this point in time, I think it is good and would recommend it to others. The writer seems to know what he is talking about and has helped many others to get and stay fit in only 15 minutes per day, 2 or 3 times per week. So, perhaps a little more advice on where to go for the exercise routine would be good.

The yoga section was a complete wash out for me. I cannot stand on one foot or get down on the floor. I had a bad attitude about it and only gave it half a chance. I did look but did not find one position that I was willing to try. There was nothing for the really unfit and I am a truly obese, very stiff, and truly sedentary unfit individual who has trouble getting up from a chair and yoga at that level was more than I was willing to even attempt – but is probably very good for those who are able to do it.

The guidelines for the aerobic exercise were a little ambiguous too – in one section I was relieved to be told I only need to do it three times a week and later felt bad when the rules now said that I should do it every day as if that were the guidelines from the beginning.

I noticed there is one recipe that has sugar as one of the ingredients… don’t recall which one, but wondered about that.

All in all, I think it is a good program, well presented, and well written. Most of all, it is effective and I am glad the Lord lead me to find it. If there is anything I can do to support others or you, please feel free to ask. I am grateful for your ongoing support, too. It makes me feel real good to know that you are there for me, if I need help or advice, including your comments concerning the results and opinions in this article.

God bless your work.

Sincerely,

Marcia

P.S. This is going to be my blog post for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!