Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day by Day and Other Side Affects

Hi,

Day 3 -- and I am not holding my mis-steps against me, I am simply moving on. I have had no sugar today -- which means I did on both days 1 and 2. It only stalls my own progress to do such things, but I've gotten that out of my house, now. I think where I made the mistake was in not setting my start date a little farther in the future by a day or two and doing the prep steps a little more thoroughly.

I got almost everything out of the house that I should not eat, and I got good raw veggies and protein in the house to provide what I need. It is that "almost everything" that is the problem. I did not even follow my own advice during the preparatory steps -- but the Christmas candy is now gone. I'm actually wondering if I should simply call this Day 1.... No, I'll just accept the responsibility and move on. Today was a mostly clean program day. I hope yours was too. Today my only faulty meal was three breaded chicken strips with honey mustard dip. Everything else was on target.

I've been thinking about the overall positive and negative "side affects" that can be expected when following a narrow program like this one (see previous day's post). I don't actually think that eating fresh raw veggies and animal protein is narrow, but I can see where other people might. It is rather a large jump to go from eating the Standard American Diet (SAD) directly to the blood sugar reducing program I am advocating here. I truly believe it is the best program an over weight, hypertensive, post-menopausal woman with pre-diabetes and gout can do. It is the only one that actually allows me to lose any weight at all so I'm glad to be back on it.

If you are coming directly off of SAD it will be easier on you if you start with the 50/50 portions. Do that for a week and then begin adding more veggies and removing a little protein until you gradually work your way up to 80/20. Do not remove the protein entirely because you need it to help stabilize your blood sugars. Remember: eat when you are hungry -- and always have both raw veggies and animal protein.

Side affects: The first side affect I've been thinking about is the way we react emotionally to this kind of a food program. There is a reason that high carb dishes are called "comfort food." They actually do affect our moods so when you first go off of them you may at some point run into a feeling of either anxiety or depression -- the opposite of "comfort." The high carb meal on day seven should alleviate most of that. In fact that is part of the purpose of the weekly cheat meal: to restore the brain carbs that we need. Carbs seem to have what I call a "cumulative" effect which is why the withdrawals take three days and the reduction in pain takes six days, so restocking the carb stores every seven days should side-step the mood swings.

If you happen to run into it sooner there are also two supplements that my doctor advised me to take that really seem to keep bad feelings completely out of my picture. One is called L-Theanine and the other is Taurine. These are both amino acids that can be purchased at any health food store or on the internet. I take one of each in the morning to prevent anxiety and black moods and am rarely troubled by them. If before I go to bed I feel the need of more peaceful feelings I am likely to take one more of each before going to bed. I only do that on rare occasions. You will have to try it out to see if it helps you. That emotional response is part of the addictive behavior that I've been mentioning and I am all for anything that helps me to conquer the addiction.

The other thing I want to address is not really a "side effect" but a symptom of our own "SAD food syndrome." We seem to be a nation of people that mentally files particular foods into certain meal slots and heaven forbid that they might be eaten at a different time or in a different way. Like eggs are relegated to breakfast only. Steak or salad is only for dinner. Who decided that and why do we feel the need to force ourselves to follow it? What purpose does it serve? None that I can see.

Try having a new thought about when and where you can eat different food items. It really is not far fetched to eat salad for breakfast. I've been enjoying salad for breakfast for quite some time and find it really pleasureable. I like eggs for breakfast (and also eat them any time during the day) so I fry up a couple of over-easy eggs and place them on my salad. The liquid yellow actually makes a very tasty salad dressing. If you have ever had a Cobb Salad or a Chef Salad you have had hard boiled eggs on your salad before. Why not some over-easy or scrambled eggs? Try it. You might like it.

I also put salt and pepper and spices on my salad before I put either the eggs or the salad dressing on them. Try sprinkling a few Italian herbs on your salad with a little salt and pepper to really move a salad into the "actually tasty" realm. Experiment with your own favorite seasonings and create some new combinations for yourself. Salad does not have to be a boring bowl of ice berg lettuce and grape tomatoes that needs to be drowned in salad dressing to be appetizing.

Try wandering the produce aisle at your favorite grocery store and imagining how you might choose to use the different ingredients in your own creative salad! See if they have some items that you have never noticed before and try some out. I like to print out a copy of the "Craving Reducing Shopping List" (see yesterday's post) and highlight the things I'm planning on purchasing. That keeps me in the "safe" zone and also reminds me of what I need. Try some endive in your salad. Try some broccoli sprouts!! What about some red leaf lettuce? It is very tender and tasty. I like to use Romain as my basis but I add various other lettuces and rotate the greens to get all the goodness from the variety that is available.

Once you have been eating this way for a while your stomach will likely no longer be bothered by cucumbers or radishes, too. Begin to experiment and add new vegetables to your basket and your salads as you go along.



I find that the best way to store lettuces is to stand them up in about a half inch of water which I accomplish by putting them diagonally into a 1-gallon size plastic zipper bag and standing it up against the wall of the refrigerator. Sometimes I place them in a colander for support in staying upright. The water (which should be changed every other day) will keep your lettuces fresh and lively longer. Think about it: they are still alive when you purchase them -- they need a drink. You do that to cut flowers and it keeps them attractive longer -- the same is true for lettuces -- they need a drink to stay fresh, crisp, and lively.

Here is the last piece of advice for today: Eat when you are hungry. You do not have to deprive yourself. It will be a new experience (it was for me) to actually trust the messages you are getting from your body.  Listen to you body and eat when you are hungry and stop eating when you are full.

OK one more: Don't forget to decide not to eat the things you should not eat. I need that one the most!!

Be back soon,

Marcia


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!