Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 7

Hi,

Well it is both day 7 and Sunday. I went to church this morning but did not allow enough time to eat breakfast so went without. At church my friends Steve and Linda invited me over for lunch. Steve said he had made a big salad and I knew that was on the program. I asked Linda if I should bring anything and asked if there would be any meat (I need to eat protein with every meal -- not what the book says, just what I know I need.) and she said they had plenty of lunch meat. I was excited to receive the invitation. The salad was fresh and good, the turkey slices were perfect, and the water was plentiful, and I stayed on the program.

I left after about 45 minutes to come home and read and blog and call a friend who had said he wanted to go to church Sunday night with me. He gave me an excuse and declined going to church. On the drive home I noticed I had had plenty to eat but was still very hungry, so I stopped at Taco Bell and got three hard shell tacos. And when I got home and read the lesson for today it is about giving up fast food for lunch and replacing it with good home made lunch. Wow. I very rarely eat fast food but I did today. How odd.

The first thing Day 7 covers is the difference between grass fed and grain fed cows. The grass fed free range meat is a healthy choice to eat, but the "grain fed" cows which are part of what is called "agri-business" have been fed grain in order to fatten them up. They are also injected with antibiotics and growth hormones which we in turn ingest. I was also amazed to read that the meat in fast food hamburgers is a conglomeration of meat and meat "parts" and one hamburger can have meat from many different cows in it. I had no idea! This "conglomeration" of meat also is a source of bacteria that we should be avoiding. And that is what he means by "clean and lean" -- a lean organic cut of beef or meat that you cook yourself is a good source of protein for us to consume.

He also touches on the different kinds of oil and fat we should and should not consume. You can read about it on page 137.

Fast food is poor quality food. Just because it is cheap does not mean you should eat it. Your own lunch that you have prepared yourself is very much more healthy for you than what "business men" are making. Dr Rip gives us a wide variety of easy and satisfying take-to-work lunches that are easy to do. The main ingredient is preparation -- filling the pantry with the right "supplies." If you are prepared, then making a carry lunch is no big deal. 

Another thing he touches on is "super-sizing" and how, since the 1990's we have been bamboozled by marketing strategies to "up sell" and we no longer even recognize a "normal portion" any more. No wonder diabetes is rampant! Moderate consumption of good fats will protect your health. Overindulgence will work against your goals.

"Now is the time to say 'no' to fast food for lunch -- now is the time to say 'no' to dining out entirely until after Day 22.  Well. OK. In a couple of weeks I'll be better educated for going out but for now, no more dining out.  That will save me some money, too.

Home is where the most diabetes-friendly foods come from -- IF you are an informed shopper. He suggests a wide variety of easy and satisfying make it yourself lunches and dinners to go along with the healthy breakfasts that were suggested yesterday. See page 144. Veggies rule and proteins keep you going, add a diabetes friendly beverage and you are good to go.

For now the plan is to continue through day 12 eating only meat/protein and veggies. The whole grains will be added after day 12 -- but the present regimen of veggies and protein will stabilize the blood sugar and control hunger. Although my experience at my friend's meal does not give good evidence of that. I think the problem was that when I make a salad myself I use hearty romain lettuce and add lots of filling broccoli or avocado with pungent spices... maybe I just did not have enough to eat. And skipping breakfast was the first thing that set me up to need more food later. If I want it to go better tomorrow, I am going to have to make better choices today. I know this works, I just need to do it.

For now -- I am off to church, again.

Be back soon

-- Marcia

2 comments:

  1. One thing that has helped me as well was to pre-plan meals for the week. It is hard, as much as you don't want food to overrun your life. It begins to do that in the beginning but it soon becomes the norm.

    Funny about the processed meat in fast food. I am Mexican and we are used to eating various parts of the body. If you think about it, "head" around the world and it happens frequently. Not saying it is good but it just brought that to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still not really pre-planning every meal. I just make sure I have the right ingredients and let the meals happen. If you have a pantry and fridge full of the right foods, there is nothing else to eat. I do try to plan the shopping list -- I just don't like the regimentation of planning the specific meals. I am single and live alone so do not have to prepare food for others. I suppose if I had to do that, I might do it differently, but there is no guarantee. Thanks for your comments. Hope all is going well for you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!