Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Hi,

I just finished watching a video that I thought was rather amusing and amazing. It is of a doctor, Thomas Lodi MD, giving a lecture at a conference. I was surprised at the direction it took because it was labeled "Stop Making Cancer" and he gave some of the most convincing reasons to be eating a plant based diet that I have recently heard. By a simple logical look at "nature" he directs your thinking in a way that makes simple sense. Here is the link if you would like to see it: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4188146761750660732#

I have been eating properly except for two meals recently (tacos and a burrito). I also went to Dr Chris' health store and got some better B vitamins. At least I hope they turn out better than the ones I was taking that I had gotten from the grocery store. On the last set of tests my doctor had given me she told me that I needed B vitamins. This was a little shocking to me, because I take them every day. I figured that maybe the ones I was taking were simply inefficient and I needed something better. I wish there were some sort of insurance program for taking vitamins and supplements because they are really expensive.

I have also been reading more in "The No-Grain Diet" and getting my mind prepared for doing the EFT (emotional freedom technique) to help to control the cravings. He is talking a lot about the addiction to grains and starches and sugars and so far, it is really resonating with me. Some of the examples he has been describing could have been taken from my own life, so I think I am on the right track with this. The only thing is, he still advocates eating animal protein -- which my doctor has also suggested. I have been leaning more and more towards vegan, but have not taken that final step. I am not purposefully opposed to eating meat, but the video I just watched really made it seem like the wrong thing to do, too. I guess it is really up to the individual and what they believe and what they are trying to accomplish.

I will take it slow. I am eating way more plants than I used to eat. And I am still kind of amazed at what happens when you soak raw peanuts in water over night. I had some for breakfast this morning. They seem to swell up, get lighter in color, and the texture becomes more crisp and crunchy. Completely different from roasted peanuts which are what I might call hard and mushy as you chew them. I noticed the other day when I was pouring the water off of a mixture of raw peanuts and raw pumpkin seeds that the water had a light film on it that resembled an oil slick in my mind. It glowed with that rainbow of colors you see when the light glistens on an oil slick and I was really a little surprised to see it. I am told that soaking the nuts and seeds removes an enzyme blocker of some kind and makes them easier for the body to digest. So far I like the difference the water makes.

I have also started storing some of my raw veggies in a little water that I change when I cut off a portion to eat. I started doing this with Romaine lettuce when I noticed the tops of the leaves were a little wilted and unappetizing. I remembered that when I was a child my mother used to take a wilted stalk of celery and make a new cut on the bottom and then stand it up in a little water in the fridge and they would perk up and become hard and crunchy again. I tried that with the lettuce and it did the same thing. The leaves of the Romaine hearts got firm and crunchy again.

What I did was take a large gallon size zip close bag and put a little filtered water in the corner (about half a cup) and then position the lettuce in the bag so that the bottom stem was standing in the corner of the bag in the water. I then made sure to place them so they were upright in the fridge and it drank the water into the leaves. The water seems to change color, so I put in fresh water each time I use a few of the leaves and put the stalk back in the bag. I tried it with a seemingly dry head of leafy green lettuce (it seemed to dry out on the way home in the car) and that perked up, too. It got so full it was tight in the bag and kept the lettuce fresh longer. Yesterday I tried it with a large stalk of broccoli that seemed a little wilty and that perked up, and became firm, too.

This seems to me to be proof that those items are still living and are good for me to eat because I am living, also. I made a broccoli and tomato salad and after it was cut up and assembled it reminded me of Christmas. The broccoli looked like pine needles and the tomatoes being red just made me think of Christmas, which seemed pleasant to me. When I sprinkled on some crumbled feta cheese it looked like snow, so I might actually make one of those at Christmas time if I have to take a salad somewhere.

I am still moving along. Still studying. Still eating right. Thank you Lord, for your kindness.

Be back soon

--Marcia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!