Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Family Blessings

Hi,

I really enjoyed seeing my family again after all these years but the driving trip was a bit painful on the body. I think part of the reason was that I was not able to keep up my swimming. I had purposefully planned my stays at motels that advertised that they had pools but not a one of them was either open or in any kind of condition that I would have wanted to dip my body into them. So as the time went on my body was in more pain.

I think part of it was the lugging of stuff, too. I planned the way I used to plan when I took road trips when I was young, which means that I took anything and everything that I thought I might be able to use in an emergency. I am very thankful that God was in charge of this trip and I could see Him working and feel Him taking care of me the whole entire way. Nearly every door was held open by someone who just happened to be there when I was. The people in the USA are kind hearted, good, and helpful people and a pleasure to be around.

I really enjoyed the 50th anniversary party. My sister and her husband were completely surprised, too. My sister suspected something was up but did not know what and did not know that so many of her family and neighbors and friends would be there to help them celebrate. For me it felt good that I had been there at their wedding and I was there again on their 50th. It ended up being a song fest that many of us participated in. Great fun!! I spent the next day at their house with her kids and grand kids popping in all day. She was disappointed when I left to go to the motel because she wanted me to stay at her house, but I really could not have made it up the stairs to the second level to sleep.

Visiting with my brothers was a jewel, too. When I actually laid eyes on my younger brother in his living room, it moved me to tears and I could barely speak. It was so good to see him, his wife, and his family. I really loved getting to know his son's new wife and their daughter for the first time, and seeing my niece and her son was awesome, too. Everyone had changed but we all knew one another. They took me to the most awesome buffet I've ever been to near Canton, Ohio but I don't recall the name exactly. It was at Beldon village mall and I hope I get to go there again some time.

When I got to Michigan and my older brother walked out I was really shocked to see how much he looked like Dad to me. He and his beautiful hospitable wife insisted that I stay longer than two days with them and I ended up staying at least a week. I needed the rest and recuperation, so I complied.  I could have stayed longer but had trouble finding one of my high blood pressure OTC medicines and needed to get home to my spare bottle. I wish I had taken it with me. I had enough for the length I had planned but when I stayed longer I began to run out.

They were kind enough to prepare meals with no tomatoes (I shared with them that I am allergic) and provided fresh vegetables so I had a salad at nearly every meal. It was delicious and wonderful. The only problem I had was being offered sweet treats like little cakes and such in the evening. I started off refusing but soon began to partake. My brother even bought me an entire bag of veggie potato chips which I tried hard to eat only a little to be polite, but ended up, binging on one evening. I did not finish the whole bag but it was a serious binge.

I also enjoyed the visit with their youngest son who lives in a group home a few miles from them. It was odd to see my nephew with grey hair when for most of his life he had lovely dark hair. Time marches on.

I loved getting to know and to hold my newest great grand nephew and getting to be around his Mom and her brothers, my grand nephews, too. It was very good to visit with their Mom, too... only wish we could have spent a little more time together. Her husband, my older nephew, passed away a few years ago. Each one of them came when they could spare some time and visited for as short or long as they could during the week. I don't know them as well as I know my sister's kids but they are good, loving, and kind people. Young and working hard toward their futures. I loved being around the young people in my family.

When I finally got back home it was a bit of a shock. I don't know why, but it was a bit emotional for a day or so until I got back in the swing of my own life down here in Georgia. I stepped on the scale for the first time and had lost 1/2 a pound which surprised me as I had fasted while driving and actually thought at different times that I might have gone down quite a bit by the way my clothes were fitting.

I've been back about 5 days and have already fasted twice and seem to be doing 16:8 (16 hours no eating, 8 hours eating -- not constantly but able to have meals!) because I still don't have any food in the house. I need to rectify that but I did not want to go food shopping while I was fasting so postponed it until today, although, at this moment, I don't feel like going shopping. Perhaps I'll get the motivation a little later in the day.

I re-read my last post and am ready to begin the new program I wrote about of eating veggies and protein, fasting twice a week, and having a 1-hour cheat meal on Saturdays. I'm not sure I will lose weight but I am sure I will feel better. My experience of eating the veggies at my brother's house was a good one and reminded me of what a lovely and satisfying way of eating that is.

I was allowed to make my salad myself so they were just as I wanted them. I cut up fresh broccoli in bite sized pieces. Peeled and sliced cucumber and then put Italian dressing on the large bowl. Then also ate whatever protein they had. Once my brother made sauerkraut and pork like Mom made it with the addition of caraway seeds, just as he and I like it, and that was excellent. I finished up the left overs over the next couple of days.

They did not seem to eat left overs but when the grand kids came by, they all expected to partake. I see that is a way of life for them. They cook their meals making sure there are leftovers and then when the grandsons or granddaughter show up they go to the fridge and eat. They know they can come starving and Grandma and Grandpa are happy to have food for them.

My brother also made individual cheese omelets for breakfast in a special enamel coated pan that he has which is two small pans hinged together so you just have to flip the pan over to cook the other side. Very cool and really tasty. Good breakfast, too: veg and protein. I might look for one, myself. He mentioned it was advertised for pancakes but the omelet is a better idea.

One good thing that has happened is that I am now on a better sleeping schedule. My bedtime is now 11 p.m instead of 2 a.m. and I'm liking that a lot. I do see it creeping past that a little, but so far, I've gone to bed before 2 every night and am getting up earlier, too. It is nice to have the early part of the day to do things in. I've gone swimming twice and my body is in much less pain, too. So my next full project is getting the eating plan underway.

Well, that is where I have been and where I am now.

Be back soon,
Marcia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!