Friday, November 5, 2010

Do Grain and Diabetes Have Anything in Common?

Hi,

I got the books I ordered and have been reading. I started with the "Grain Damage" book and discovered the main idea of the author is to replace the bad-for-you grains with fruit. The first comment, placed before the "forward" is this:

"The obesity and malnutrition problems experienced in epidemic proportions by those who follow the Standard American Diet are due in large part to the overconsumption of grains and the underconsumption of fruit." -- Dr. Douglas N. Graham, author.

On the cover he says: "The grain-free diet is not radical. It is ultra conservative."

Concerning the book, I was a little disappointed with the fruit idea because I am a diabetic and believe that I need to stay away from fruits. When I say "fruit" I mean things like apples, oranges, grapes, bananas, etc -- the sweet ones. I am afraid to incorporate them at this time because my body sucks up sugar into my blood like there was no tomorrow. But I do eat avocado, tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers -- those things that I think of as vegetables but which may actually be fruit, so, in that sense, the fruit is a good idea. If you don't have a diabetes or metabolism problem, then fruit might be fine for you. You always have to do what works for you and your body and your situation.

I am seeing the difference that dropping the bread out of my diet has made. My morning blood sugar today was again 116. Excellent in my mind. I am eating fresh raw vegetables and a small amount of protein in the form of feta cheese, munster cheese, tuna, and hard boiled eggs. I do sometimes eat scrambled eggs (once or twice a week) with either zucchini or spinach fried along with it and covered with mild salsa. Of course there is protein in the vegetables and seeds that I am consuming, so I don't believe I'll be having a "protein shortage."

The more I read the more I see the problems with eating grains. Any grains. Some are research documented, some are just plain observational logic. Many are reports of personal experiences. For instance, I know that eating bread caused my blood sugars to shoot up pretty high, and I was eating what I thought was low glycemic bread -- it was made from sprouted whole grains. Anything above 147 is a bit alarming to me. I know the blood sugar can actually go as high as the one I read of 1337 but that guy was in a diabetic coma at the time. He healed himself by changing his diet. The fact that he lived was a blessing from God. The fact that he finally took over his eating habits and got rid of the diabetes is amazing and a good example to others.

So. The "Grain Damage" book may be of interest to you, especially if you do not have diabetes but some other debilitating condition, such as Celiac disease or mysterious fatigue and allergies of the skin which are often caused by eating grains. The book is small, only 52 pages, so if you either don't like to read, or simply don't have time to get involved in a 350 page book, then this one may be perfect for you. The author is wise, experienced, very logical and makes his points well. It is pretty easy to read -- and there are quotes at the tops and bottoms of every page in large type so there is a lot less reading than you might think -- you could even skim through reading the quotes and get the gist of his ideas. I think it was worth the read. The information concerning grain will help you not only get informed about the dangers of eating grains but get off the grains and lower your blood glucose levels. The fruit, is questionable in my mind for the diabetic, but the rest of the information is valuable. I give it a B+ for the diabetic who understands they may not be able to incorporate the fruit, just yet.

The other book that I have just finished reading is: "User's Guide to Preventing & Reversing Diabetes Naturally" -- a Basic Health Publications book written by Melissa Diane Smith. I thought this one was full of excellent advice and would recommend it to those friends who either have diabetes type 2, or prediabetes and are inching their way into type 2. This one, too, is a fast read being only 92 pages but the shape of the pages is tall and narrow like a pamphlet so you are also getting less reading material than in a larger book. But this one is chock full of very good advice. If you have diabetes and have already read other material about how to control and reverse it with your diet, you will only need it if you are like me and want to support yourself in keeping up on why you need to be careful. It is a great handbook for the beginner. It has plenty of facts and reasons supporting the good advice that it offers.

The basic premise of this one is to cut out the grains and starchy vegetables, increase the green vegetables and include animal protein in your diet. This one also talks about the damaging effects of high insulin levels which is why managing your diet is so important. She also covers relaxation and a healthy life style in addition to managing your food intake. She also includes a list of supplements and herbs that may help you get things under control. All in all, I thought this was an excellent little guide and should be read by anyone who wants a quick and useful overview about type two diabetes, what causes it, and the simple steps you can take to reverse it out of your life. I give it an A+.

I am now in the process of reading "Going Against the Grain" by the same author, Melissa Diane Smith. I was pretty surprised when she pointed out that even some of the oils we eat are from grain. Think: Corn oil. I am at the part where she is pointing out other areas where we are consuming grain products of which we might not be conscious. I consider this one the best read so far. I'll get back to you on this one, when I finish it.

I am pretty much sticking to the plan. I did have some tacos again on Tuesday, but noticed on Wednesday that my sinus passages were swollen making it hard to breath and I just felt kind of "out of whack" all over, if you know what I mean. The change was really noticeable, so I am not going to be doing that again. It almost made me wonder if Taco Bell is using MSG.... I have no idea, but my body sure reacted like it did.

So, to answer the question: "Do grain and diabetes have anything in common?" -- that is a resounding yes. Not only from the books I am reading but from my own personal experience, I can see the difference in my blood glucose levels when I don't eat bread, or grain of any kind. In fact, if what I am reading is correct, excessive grain consumption may even be the cause of the current diabetes epidemic.

If you want to know what a difference it makes in your blood sugar levels, try going without grain (or potatoes or fruit) for seven days in a row. Eat all the fresh raw vegetables you want and any kind of good animal protein you like and watch your blood sugars begin to normalize before your eyes. After the first three days your carb cravings will disappear which makes it all downhill after that. Your BG meter does not lie. Find out for yourself what the difference is.

(Please note: if you are taking any kind of medication to treat your diabetes be forewarned that you should consult your doctor before making these diet changes. The diet, alone, will lower your blood sugars, so if you are taking blood sugar lowering medicines at the same time, you may end up with the double whammy of blood sugars that are too low. Talk to your doctor and get his/her help and advice on how to reduce your medications as you change your diet.)

Let me know what you find out.

Be back soon

--Marcia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!