Thursday, February 10, 2011

Vegan, Vegetarian or Carnivore? None of the above.

Hi,

It's been a while since I posted here and I think it has finally dawned on me what is going on with me. I've been feeling discouraged. As I traveled along my food journey I have been trying out different approaches and making adjustments to what I eat. Some of the changes I have made have brought about improvements and some of them have not. The most recent change I had made was to begin eating with a more and more "vegan" approach but I am beginning to think that may not be the right way for me to go.

I have been listening to "The Great Health Debate" put on by Kevin Gianni and last night he had on a man named Daniel Vitalis along with David Wolfe. I love to listen to David Wolfe but I was really intrigued by what Daniel Vitalis had to say. I'm not sure I can relate everything accurately that he said so I will just share my take on it.

I think what he is saying, in a nut shell, is that whether we should be vegetarian, vegan, or carnnivores is not really the right question to be asking ourselves. If we are interested in health and if we believe that we should be doing what our ancient ancestors did in order to have good health, then we would learn a lot from the archaeological record of the ancestors eating habits. Including studying fossilized fecal matter from them which will reveal precisely what they were eating. Daniel believes, from his own personal investigation of the ancient evidence, that we were always omnivores (eating both plants and animals). He says that we foraged for veggies, nuts and berries, and caught animals which we cooked and ate as our food. We ate wild foods.

As I listened I knew he was using the usual anthropological terms and times to name the ancestors but the evidence that was investigated bore out his theory that there has never been a time in human history that large groups or even small groups of people were vegans. There is simply no evidence of it. There are even some groups who ate almost entirely meat -- and they had bigger brains and stronger skeletal structures than we do, and they were not eating manufactured foods at all. They had fire and were cooking their food but they did not make hamburgers and french fries. They made soup or roasted meat and ate raw vegetables and even cooked vegetables along with it.

He points out that the change that has taken place in "domesticating" our food is where the actual change from "health" to "unhealth" has taken place. Our ancestors did not need to have their teeth straightened -- the straight even teeth that they had is real evidence that what they were eating is different from what we are eating. We seem not to be increasing in longevity but decreasing. We have chronic diseases that our ancestors did not have, aside from arthritis, such as cancer, heart disease, and diabetes and he believes this comes from domesticated food.

DV shared his own personal history of having been a vegetarian and a vegan for about 15 years (I think) and he ended up with lots of cravings and never felt satisfied so he was eating copious amounts of food trying to get what his body needed. He mentioned eating 50 oranges at a sitting, whole bags of cashew nuts, and whole boxes of bananas because he was hungry. His body was never satisfied.

He made the change back to eating meat when someone gave him a copy of Weston A. Price's book "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration."  He says that this book is the one that changed his perspective and helped him figure out that being a vegan was not so good for him. Here is a link to the Weston A. Price Foundation web site if you are interested: http://www.westonaprice.org/

You may be able to listen for a few more hours yet at: http://www.renegadehealth.com/ghd/blog/ -- I am not sure when they are going to turn it off. I assume sometime this evening around  7 or 8 p.m. EST.  DV is on the second half. He also has a web site at: http://www.danielvitalis.com/  His religious philosophy is also demonstrated on his site. It is not one that I agree with, but we are all free to choose.

What has been occurring to me is that I have seen a similar physical reaction in me. Eating only raw veggies is good but there are occasions when it simply does not fill me up and I get cravings and need more other food. Today it dawned on me that I had stopped putting the hard boiled eggs in my salads and I think I need to go back to that. I need the animal protein, I think, to satisfy my physical needs. One thing DV said was that he was one of the chubby ones when he was a kid. Me too. Even now he is a thick bodied man but not obese. He looks healthy. Of course young people tend to look "healthy" to us.

I've also noticed that when I eat only veggies I seem to get cold easier. This is a new one for me. I have always been hot bodied. When I was working I always (always) had a fan blowing under my desk. Now I often wear slipper boots and a long robe even over my street clothes when I am in the house. Of course it is winter (in Georgia!) and I put my thermostat on 69 to keep the costs lower but this being cold is a new thing. I have also noticed that when I binge eat and do high carbs the old hot body comes back again for an hour or so. This seems to be evidence of the effect that high carbs have on my personal body temperature.

Anyway. I bought some mostly grass fed beef at Whole Foods yesterday (the butcher said they were grass fed but for the last third of their lives they were grain fed) and am planning on adding some meat and animal protein back into my diet to see if that fills me up better. I will still do my daily large salad that I portion off during the day but I am going to be adding minimal amounts of animal protein back in. Not grains. Not starches. I still need to be concerned with my blood sugar. My weight is hovering around the 18 pounds loss mark which means I fluctuate up and down (as I always have) but I am not going to worry about that. It only makes me crazy to worry about that. I can do good at any weight or any age -- Praise the Lord!!

So that is where I am today.

Hope all is well with you

Be back soon

--Marcia


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!