Saturday, August 17, 2013

Food and The Need to Feel Different

Hi,

I was going over some of the posts that I printed out in order to use them for support and motivation and got to thinking again.

I had asked myself the question, "What are you looking for when you eat?" and had come up with a really revealing post (link to post) but as I began to re-read it I cut the question down to, "What are you looking for?" and realized I am looking for a feeling.

That feeling of peace which I have only experienced through the Spirit of God.

Psalm 16:11
Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

I really do find the most joy in speaking with God, worshiping Him, reading His Word and writing Bible study/commentaries. When I am doing that, I feel complete and full. God is amazing.

So why would I look for that in food?

John 6:27
Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.
Of course, it is "D." Biochemical triggers and the need to feel different.
The above is a quote from "The Anatomy of A Food Addiction" which I had been reading for a while. Link: (to the book).

I think I know how to handle the biochemical triggers which I consider to be carb cravings. I know she is talking about something more scientific but I happen to know, very well, that when I start eating too many carbs, too often, the eating machine starts to be in full swing. The biochemical triggers are real. My personal solution is the 3-day carb fast which really does set me right again.

The one thing that is really hard for me to control is that "need to feel different" which is why I go to carbs in the first place. I have not really investigated that before. I've become a little more aware of it, but have not really looked at what is going on there.

I'm thinking that that may be the place where I need to use the process of writing down my thoughts and then analyzing them, then providing a positive replacement for them which I was reminded of at Victory Steps. Link: (to the web site)

I'm feeling a little fearful of this one. Its like I want to "not" investigate this, so prayer is needed. I will go to God with this one. 

As I was about to end this post, I got interrupted by the dryer finishing so I went and hung up the clothes and left the folding of the socks for a little later this evening. That was just enough distance for me to come back and resume my sharing.

This seems like a really core issue so I really do want to wait and go to God first on this one. I know that He will show me what I need. I don't have to do this alone.

I also know that just being aware of this is a good thing.

I am fasting today and have about an hour or so before I will have my meal. 

I also believe in "holding the question" -- which means I don't want the slick fast answers -- I want to look at the question, "What feeling are you looking for?"
One statement that I got from the Victory Steps, "Emotional Eating" program that I listened to is this:

"There are foods that we are consuming for entertainment – and not just for entertainment but as a substitute for prayer, for communication with other Christians, and as a substitute for God’s love and His Holy Spirit. Any time we use something physical like food or drugs or alcohol or shopping or sex – something physical to fulfill an emotional or spiritual need we will always fall short and frustrate ourselves. Because it is like drinking water from a glass with a giant hole in the bottom. " 
From: (Overcoming Emotional Eating and Negative Thinking, By: Bonnie MeChelle)

I wonder where all this will take me. I'm feeling positive about this, now. Thank you Lord!

Be back soon, Lord willing,

Marcia






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!