Monday, September 13, 2010

Leading Thoughts

Howdy Folks!

I have been spending a lot of time at the websites of Carlene Jones who is an Obesity Fat Coach. She, herself, lost 136 pounds in 2006, and kept it off, and has helped others to do the same. I am really impressed with her ideas and how she does things. I have downloaded her book "Fat Brain Lies" and am very pleased with what she is teaching me. This is a workbook to help you get your mindset straightened out. It will help you look at how you think and help prepare you to actually follow your program and stay on it. We don't have to continue to fail at losing weight!

I have completed the first chapter, and have some assignments to do before I go on to the next chapter. Based on what I have seen so far, I am recommending that if you are one hundred or more pounds over weight, like I am, she has good stuff to offer. Even if you have somewhat less to lose, if you know you are addicted to food, and are headed in the obesity direction right now, or have a really hard time losing weight and have a strong desire to do something about it (especially if you have given up on diets and are considering drastic measures like surgery), you may want to check it out before doing something extreme. There is actual help there. Here is the link: http://www.carlenejones.com/

As I have been reading her website I started thinking about a new friend with whom I have just started doing a Bible Study. I recognize the circular thinking patterns that she is displaying, from my own past. I used to do that too, and understand how trapped that can make you feel. And as I was reading some of Carlene's stuff on her web site, I began thinking about my friend, and how I might coach her to begin to incorporate new thinking patterns. As I was considering how to coach my friend from my own experience in that area and was practicing in my mind how to approach it I began to pretend to share with her what I do to direct my thinking to better conclusions and actions.

One of the things I used to do was have thoughts that continually lead to the same place and I rode them like they were a freight train. And just like a freight train they always lead to the same conclusion. That conclusion always made me feel sad, depressed, and even sometimes anxious. So what my thinking was doing was making me depressed. Now I remember where I learned about how to get off the freight train. It was from partially doing the course "Attacking Anxiety and Depression" at the Midwest Center created by Lucinda Bassett. Here is the link if you are interested: http://www.stresscenter.com/mwc/the-program/

It is a whole program but I began to feel free of the problem after I did the fifth session so I never went on. Oddly enough, I think session six is about eating. When I took a look at it, it was the "same old story" so I walked away from that, knowing that had never worked for me. But I learned a lot from the first five sessions about how to direct my thinking and have used it ever since when I see myself getting on the freight train. Sometimes I don't recognize it until I am already on the train, but it does not matter, you can get off the train anywhere.

I do it by first recognizing the train and knowing where it is headed. If you don't want to go to that conclusion for the umpteenth time, stop the train. Then, in order to keep from getting back on the train, I use a statement of faith in God, Who He is, What He has done, and His love for me. For me, that often takes the form of a little scriptural song that I sing to myself based on Proverbs 3:5-6  (Trust in the LORD with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; In all of your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall make your paths straight.) The song goes on to say, "Don't worry about tomorrow, He's got it under control, Trust in the Lord, with all your heart, and He will carry you through." Once I sing that, my soul is assuaged, and I move out in trust, feeling better, remembering Who is taking care of me, and how trustworthy He is, and how completely good He is, and how infinite He is. And best of all, how He never changes!  Glory to God! Praise the Lord!! Thank you Jesus!!


It has dawned on me that I had not applied what I knew to the "food" area of my brain. I do remember in the past that the Lord showed me that the two obsessions I had were identical -- and He did this over and over again -- but I did not think to apply what I had learned about thinking to the food arena. But after doing the first chapter of Carlene's book, and thinking about the commitment I made there, it has dawned on me that I can apply my skills to this area, too. I just needed to be pointed in the right direction.

As I thought about trying to explain it I realized that thinking always leads either to a conclusion or an action.  I wondered if they ever lead to anything else that I had not thought of. I considered "decisions" because thinking leads to decisions, but a decision is an action. So, it seems that thoughts lead to either conclusions or actions. I soon realized that to be more accurate I should probably say, "Thinking always leads to both a conclusion and an action." Our actions are always based on our conclusions. If the conclusion is about the self, it will lead to how you feel about yourself. The feeling is the action or result. The current feeling is always based on the previous thought. Well that is where I began to realize that, in the food arena, the thinking always leads to what I put in my mouth. Do you see the similarity? Obesity is really about thinking patterns. I have never eaten a thing without some sort of thought about it, just before I ate it. If I were to pay attention to these thoughts, I could begin to replace them, and lead me in a better more healthy direction.

Among the first questions you have to answer in Carlene's workbook are what are "Your Top 3 Favorite Fattening Foods." She says she will use this information later in the workbook, then immediately asks you to make a list of what things you have sacrificed for your Obesity. (By the way, this information is all in the free part of the book that you can download at: http://www.carlenejones.com/). She then lists things that she gave up, things that others have given up because of being Obese, and gives you the opportunity to think about that and list what you have given up for the "cause." I came up with six things that I had given up, such as:

--I do not travel by air because the seats are too small and uncomfortable, I always lop over and crowd the person next to me, and don't like having to shout across the cabin that I need a seat belt extender.

--I don't go to crowded places because there is not enough room for me to stand or sit comfortably -- there is not enough space -- and I don't like bumping into people and getting that "You fat pig, watch where you are going" look.

--I only drive to places in my own car because it is too embarrassing to try to fit into other people's "cars for little people" and then not be able to fasten the seat belt

--I make sure there is an extra seat next to me at church to lay my Bible on because I don't have a lap. That way I can open it during the sermon and follow along with the preacher. I don't like that I cannot sit next to someone and chat because of my stuff.

--I won't apply for an Administrative Assistant job because I do not fit the professional picture they are looking for and I don't have any professional looking clothes to wear, anyway

--I don't go swimming because I no longer have a swim suit that fits me

After writing those things down, I noticed she did not have a space to put what you would have if you were not Obese (I capitalize Obese to make the "O" really big and emphasize the word). So I wrote to the side that if I were thin or normal sized I would:

--Go on a trip by airplane to visit my family
--Slip through crowds easily
--Ride in any size car
--Put a book in my lap
--Apply for any job I wanted
--Swim often
--Go to a gym

Later in the workbook (still within the free section) there is a place where Carlene asks some pointed questions. They are not for her, they are for you. If you answer the questions honestly, you will begin to see whether you really want to lose weight and are ready to do the work, or if you are just wishing. Neither one of those is a crime. It is just that, if you are "wishing" then you might as well stop doing the workbook for now and pick it up later when you are ready to do the work. If it comes out that you are really ready, then she asks you if you would be willing to give up your third top favorite fattening food in order to be thin. I decided I am ready. My third top favorite food is "macaroni and cheese." I made the commitment to never again, in my lifetime, eat macaroni and cheese. And then I began to think about that.

I gotta tell you, even though I don't really eat that very often, it is one of the things that I would purchase when I was planning on falling off the wagon. I actually felt a little frightened. I had that sudden little intake of breath when I realized I had promised never to ever do that again. Wow. I even wondered if I could do it. As I went on in the workbook I began to think about why I would be doing it. I now have two things connected in my brain. If I don't ever eat macaroni and cheese again, I can have a lap. I can ask myself: Which do you want? A moment of macaroni and cheese, or a life time lap that you can use anytime you want to? With a lap you can hold a child, or read a book in comfort. It kind of boils down to: Do I want to exchange a moment of sick pleasure in the mouth, for a lifetime of satisfaction in being thin? It is not a sacrifice when you realize what you can get from foregoing a small sick pleasure for a much larger and longer lasting satisfaction. Wow. Exchange sick pleasure for healthy satisfaction. Exchange self indulgence for new life.

I realized there is a little "pocket" of pleasure foods that I have exchanged for Obesity. It is always the same things. I believe I can now, open that pocket up and dump out the candy and ice cream, too. There was always that reserved area. One that, when I wanted to, I could resort to those foods to make me feel better for a short time. I did not do it often. But had magical thinking in that area, too. I now see that that little pocket of items only serves to keep me Obese. The only way for me to get rid of Obesity is to clean out the pocket of junk. I can exchange them for thinness. Whoo! Hooo!

Her workbook is good. Try it out. It is called "Fat Brain Lies" By Carlene Jones, and you can find it here: http://www.carlenejones.com/

God bless you in your search and your life. I'm right here, come and visit often. Leave a comment if you wish.

Be back soon

--Marcia

2 comments:

  1. With my alcohol addiction, I didnt say, I will never drink again, I say , I will not drink today. Today is much easier to manage in my mind than forever.

    With my food allergies, knowing i cant ever have wheat again. I keep it in today.. And remind myself, I cant have wheat today. I ask God to help me not romance it. I thank Him for what i am able to eat.

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Cyndi,

    Good point. It is always easier to manage something in smaller chunks and today is the only time period in which we can take action.

    Love you
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!