Sunday, September 5, 2010

Move it! Move it!

Hi,

I have stumbled onto something, I think. Last night, just for the fun of it, as I watched TV in the recliner I actually did start the foot wagging and as I repeatedly moved my feet in every direction that they can move, up, down, side to side, circles in all directions, I began to realize that the muscles were actually moving and I actually was exercising. Imagine "Recliner Exercising." Because I was quickly moving I realized it was aerobic. Ha. Great idea.

After I was done, I looked at my ankles and they were no longer swollen!! Wow.

This morning when I got up, all creeky with pain in my lower back, I moved from my bed to my recliner, which is what I do every morning. No kidding I have to take baby steps to the bathroom for the morning business and going from a standing to sitting, or vice versa, is a painful act, until I have been up for a while. It helps to sit in the recliner because it somehow eases the pain. As I sat there, still in a bit of a sleepy type state, I remembered the foot waging from the night before and started doing it again.

I started testing moving my other muscles. Just sort of moving along the body and seeing how I could flex and relax the muscles on the next area. The thighs were pretty easy to do, flex, relax, repeat until I wanted to try another area. I did the stomach muscles, pull in, let out, over and over. I then pushed out with the lower abs, too. Just flex and relax, repeatedly. I noticed that if I did the movements quickly, it is like aerobics, but if I did it slowly and purposefully and then held the flex, and slowly, purposefully relaxed, it was like strength training. I tested other areas of the body. Front shoulders, back muscles, buttocks, inner thigh, calf muscles. As I paid attention to each area, I tested how I could simply flex the muscles in that area repeatedly.

After about a half hour, I realized that I had just exercised every part of my body, and had not left the recliner. I could easily do 30 minutes of this stuff, every day. Even more. I felt invigorated and awake. So I had just exercised without causing any pain to my lower back like the Aerofit currently does. Ha. I can do this. I could see how anyone, no matter how low the fitness level could do this. Even if you have not done any kind of exercise for years, you can do this. All you have to do is Move it, Move it.

I realized you could also do this anywhere. While you are driving, while sitting at a desk, or laying in bed, just start flexing those muscles. If it hurts to do a particular move, don't do that particular move. Just move your attention to an area near it, that does not hurt to move. You will soon have covered your whole body. And you don't have to buy a thing.

I have more to say on the subject but it is time to get ready for church.

Be back soon,

--Marcia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!