Saturday, July 23, 2011

Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program

Hi,

I remembered that before I started the last program that my doctor gave me, I had told myself that if that program did not work, I thought that the Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program should work. After all, this program was designed by people like me who found the solution. Doctors Richard and Rachael Heller are the authors and they have both been overweight in the same way that I have been -- and the evidence points to that they are still normal weight after all these years. I hope that is accurate. Prediabetes aside, they write about controlling insulin. Ah hah! Just what I need.

Since it has occurred to me, I want to point out that during this latest experiment with the juice fasting I cut out all dairy, all protein, all nuts and seeds, all grains, and all starchy vegetables. I did the program for eight days and only twice had really hard hard temptations that I shared about. The one that broke the camel's back being last night when I simply walked to the fridge and got out some eggs and cooked them for me. I weighed myself this morning and I put on .5 of a pound. The high's of my blood sugar levels were about where they normally are but the low's were lower. I want to test my blood sugars on the new program to see if the highs are lower because of the addition of protein and I hope to keep the lows lower still.

Now I want to try something more balanced. I got out my CALP book which I have had on the shelf since 1998. I have always believed in that book -- but never completely was obedient to the program rules. I never ate the required salad. I often ate more carbs than recommended at the reward meal and simply did things "MY WAY" -- as per usual. But after having done the juicing, I've learned that things can be done differently-- meaning I do have the strength to do things as they should be done -- especially if I rely on God's help to do what is right.

I have been reading the section on how to actually do the program and have been a little surprised because the actual rules are more precise than I think I had understood before -- or was willing to do. I remember hating all the myriad of details and wanted to boil it down to its most simple terms -- but in doing that I missed some important details. This time, I am not going to do that. I have already made a copy of the two lists, one for high carbohydrate foods that can be eaten only at the reward meal, and the other list is of Craving Reducing Foods.

There are only three guidelines to the basic program:

1. Eat a Balanced Reward Meal Every Day -- and they describe what that is

2. Complete Your Reward Meal Within One Hour -- and they tell you why this is important

3. Eat Only Craving-Reducing Foods at All Other Meals and Snacks -- the choice is yours whether you want to do 50/50 protein and craving reducing vegetables; or less protein and more vegetables -- recommended portions are average size -- but you can eat as many portions as you need to and the portions can be whatever size you choose to make them as long as you eat them together. Also: if you are not hungry, you don't have to eat. Yes!!

The idea is to achieve balance and control your insulin by using the right kinds of foods to achieve this. I really like this quote:

"If you're eating too much or too often, don't blame yourself -- you are simply exhibiting a powerful sign that your body is out of balance. A balanced body eats just enough, feels satisfied, then stops eating -- naturally." -- Drs. Richard and Rachael Heller.

Amen to that.

It is not about a cup of this and a half-cup of that to lose weight. It is about eating the right foods to control your insulin which is the "appetite hormone." If you can control the insulin, you can control the cravings and begin to eat naturally. When insulin is controlled and your body is in balance, they say, the cravings disappear and you begin to lose weight. And they tell you to weigh yourself every day and then at the end of the week take an average of them all. Even in their example the weight fluctuates up and down every day -- just like it did for me, only it seems my fluctuations were more radical than in their example -- perhaps because I was not eating any animal-type protein.

I really like the idea of having a list of craving reducing foods and am surprised at which vegetables are on which list (either craving reducing, or carbohydrate-rich foods). There are vegetables on the carbohydrate-rich list (meaning they raise the blood sugar, which raises the insulin, which packs on more pounds) that I have been juicing this past week. Carrots for one -- but I began to notice they were raising my blood sugar and on Wednesday night I donated them to some friends who own rabbits. Also on the carbo-rich list are beets, squash, zucchini, corn, peas, potatoes (all kinds) and you can only have 1/4 of a tomato (which mirrors another diabetes doctor that I know). No fruit. Not even limes or lemons, which I sort of knew.

The Craving reducing vegetables are a list from bamboo shoots to wax beans that are low in starch and high in micro-nutrients. All Greens are on it. Cabbage and cruciferous vegetables are on it, but they made a note next to the broccoli which surprised me. They mention that for some people who are particularly sensitive to carbohydrates broccoli can cause rebound cravings or reduced weight loss. They recommend that if you are concerned you can either eliminate them, or save them for Reward Meals only.

I have made copies for myself of the two lists and will do my shopping today based on these lists. They allow no fruit juice nor vegetable juice... but they only list carrot juice and V-8 juice. I guess if I am going to follow this program I will have to put the juicer away. I was hoping to juice a couple of times a day for the good nutrients, but the things that make the juice palatable (the fruits) are simply not allowed on the program. There are no nuts and seeds on the program, either. It kind of boils down to protein and vegetables with a few extras (a combination which I have always secretly believed I should be eating).

There is some dairy, which I need to be careful of -- but I can have eggs, cream cheese, and all varieties of cheese except low-fat ricotta. Cottage cheese falls under the same category as broccoli which can cause what they call rebound cravings... I am not sure what that is, but I know that I can easily binge on cottage cheese, so I am better off leaving it alone. Of course, all the sweet things like ice cream and yogurt are on the carbo-rich list and should only be eaten at a reward meal.

So. Here I go again. This time, the program, as I read it, seems to fit what I particularly need and I want to try it. One thing... they have the basic program and then they add some options that you can choose to incorporate or not, but they say they will make things works better. I have read through them and am already doing almost all of them already, so all I need to do now is sort out the veggies, add back in the protein that keeps my blood sugars lower and head out on the basic plan path to, I hope, finally, controlling the insulin and inflammation, and losing weight.

There is one list from the options that I am making a copy of because I believe I am up for it. According to the basic plan, a one-third portion of the reward meal is any high carbohydrate item that you choose. Once a day, you get to eat a high carb item, but the list I am referring to, which is one of the options that can be added later, suggests that instead of cake you choose bagels or bread. Instead of candy you choose beans. Instead of yogurt you choose nuts or seeds. I like the idea. I am already off of most of those things anyway, so it should not be a problem to make better choices in that area, too.

I also want to say the Juice Fast/Feast/Feat has been a big help to me. I am not, at this time, in a place where I can do what Joe and Phil did, which is to go on for 60 days, but I now understand why Joe calls it a "Reboot." I feel like I've been "rebooted" and have a clean slate to work on. I know I have the strength to make right choices and that if I make right choices I am on the path to insulin control and weight loss.

I, again, have high hopes. I am really glad that I am starting the new program right away. No time wasted. I shall be praying for the Lord's help. Please pray for me as the Spirit leads you.

Be back soon,

Marcia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!