Friday, July 22, 2011

Juice Feast DAY 8

Morning weight: 332.5
Starting weight: 346
Amount of Loss: 13.5 pounds
Time period: 8 days

Yes, I know. I was not going to weigh myself until Tuesday. I could not help myself. I am anxious to lose weight and anxious to see if this program is REALLY going to help me lose weight. So far it has. So far, so good. Phil had lost 17 pounds on day 5, so, being a woman, and also being 61 I just simply lose weight more slowly, so my 13.5 pounds in 8 days is quite satisfying. I have not seen this number on my scale for years!! Two more days to go, before deciding what I shall do next. I wonder if the 13.5 number will hold or increase. It seems likely that it will hold, but I've been amazed at how the numbers go up and down by the hour -- while I am juicing, no less -- and I am not holding my breath.

My blood sugar upper numbers seem to be about the same as when I am eating salads at an average of 127. If I add fruit, they can go up as high as 147. So, once again, fruit it not so good for blood sugar readings. The blood sugar numbers that are really astounding me are the morning ones, and also the lower readings. I've had blood sugar morning numbers of 111 and 116, which used to be always about 127, so that is a good drop. And my lower numbers are now lower than they used to be. I've had a few as low as 97 but they seem to hover around 106 which I am happy with.

As I am making my juices I am using the same approach that I have always used for cooking. I go to the fridge, look at what is available, and then begin pulling things out as I make up a juice recipe out of whatever I have. I start by pulling out the greens that I will use. After I have a couple of things placed on the dish drainer I look at them and think about what kind of flavor this particular set of greens has and then add things that I think might make the flavor more interesting to my mouth.

Tomatoes add a nice mild flavor. Cucumber adds a mild fresh tinge to the juice. Lime will over power bitter greens. Garlic has the usual garlic flavor and a lot of heat which increases with the size of the clove. Ginger adds a fresh flavor that heats up as the size of the piece of ginger increases, too, so if I want a mild freshness I cut a half-inch piece, if I want more of a zing I add a larger piece. I had begun to recognize that my favorite combination of "additional" ingredients is one whole lime, peeled, one large clove of garlic, and a one-inch piece of ginger. Those three will make any batch of dull-tasting greens much more pleasant to my mouth.

I have noticed that I am much more adventurous in the produce department now. I am very willing to grab a bunch of something green and add it to my cart whether I know what it tastes like or not, and whether I have ever purchased and used it before or not. I figure that if it is in the produce department to sell at my local Kroger store, other people have been buying and using it, so why not me? I had been stuck in a rut before and shied away from just about anything other than Romaine lettuce, spinach, and parsley (which I used sparingly.)

The thing about buying new greens though, is that I often forget what they are called when I get home. Last night I pulled out a bunch of pretty greens and added some parsley and my favorite lime, garlic, and ginger for supper. I did not recognize the greens I was using until I could smell them as they were processed through the juicer -- and that is when the "uh-oh" of recognition came to my mind that I had pulled out mustard greens. I knew this juice was going to be hotter than I like. I sampled it and found that, yep, this is a hot one. But, as you know, I could not waste my twenty-four ounces of juice so I began to doctor it.

First I watered it down, knowing this would both cut the heat and create left-overs -- meaning I would be drinking it last night and in the morning, too -- ugh. I added my first defense which is salt and then put in some mild curry powder hoping for additional flavor without any additional heat. It was still hotter than my taste buds enjoy, but I was able to drink it and get the good full feeling that spice-hot juice also contains. It did not seem to bother my tummy, so I let it go at that.

In the morning, as I drank my left over hot juice, my bowels began to move. I was actually pleased with this result, since there has not been much movement in that department recently -- even while juicing. So, now I am sitting here in my two-piece swim suit, waiting to see if they will calm down enough that I can trust going swimming with no emergencies.

I've had my swim gear on for about an hour, including the new swim shoes I bought and have discovered that the stitching on the top is rubbing my toes tender. The only solution I could think of was to put on some socks to cushion the rubbing. I hope the shoes do not come off in the pool because I am wearing them with socks. I thought about wearing my usual black socks but figured that would be a pretty funny sight: a 332.5 pound lady in a large aqua swim suit with sun glasses and a visor to protect my eyes from the glare and navy swim shoes with black socks. I opted for the light tan socks which do not exactly match my skin tones but are not so visible as black ones. Ha. I shall provide entertainment for anyone in the vicinity -- I don't mind. I just pretend everything is normal and do what I need to do. Most people are not so bold as to say something -- except for kids.

Good thing I waited -- if you get my drift.

My "Day 8" pain levels seem to be about normal. They have reduced from what was going on on "Day 3" and "Day 4" but have not disappeared. I think the exercising is helping. I rested yesterday and did not exercise, except to walk around Kroger getting some produce. After what had happened the day before (with the fatigue and temptation, etc.) I realized I needed a rest, so I took one. Sometimes having the plumbing moving so actively makes me tired, too. I hope to, at some point, go for a swim when things have finally settled down.

Emotionally, I feel stronger, today, like I could continue the juice feast for a longer time, but my mind is hopelessly focusing on Day 10 as my last day. I will not make my decision until Day 10 about whether to continue or not.

One of the juice experts that I read about suggested a plan of alternating juicing and eating on five-day cycles. I think seven-day cycles might be easier to keep track of because you always change on the same day of the week. You eat the same things you juice during the alternating periods but when you are eating you can add some raw nuts and seeds -- I am thinking maybe some eggs, too or a bit of chicken and broth with some cooked vegetables. Then you juice feast for five (or seven) days again -- going back and forth. I am thinking that I could do that until I get a lot more of the weight off of me. I must remember to be gentle to my body and not suddenly eat fast food or something, during the eating periods. I could also alternate eating for ten, and juicing for five... I shall see and decide on Day 10 -- but seven day cycles still seems to be the simplest to remember.

Juicing seems to be a bit more expensive than eating the same things because juicing requires so many more of them to make enough to be a meal. I may also juice during the eating periods, too. Perhaps juicing once or twice a day, and eating for the other meals and snacks.

Any combination of things might be done. I want to light on the thing or combination that will work for me. I like a simple plan, not a complicated one -- and I really like it if it works -- not like the plans that I have up to now been dealing with. Up to now, they were making my blood sugar numbers better but I've not lost much weight on them. I like the juicing because I am actually losing weight -- and giving my body the healthy nutrients it needs at the same time.

Anyway, the plumbing does not seem to be quite done, yet, so maybe my swim will be this afternoon.

Doing well -- thanking God!!

Hope you are too!!

Be back soon,
Marcia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!