Thursday, July 1, 2010

Day 11

Hi,

Today's BP: 154/80 -- top is 6 points higher than my last reading -- but bottom is 10 points lower -- hmmm.
Blood Sugar: 124 within half an hour after a hearty salad with romaine, spinach, cheese, walnuts, avocado, and green pepper, with herbs and EVOO as dressing -- for the first meal of the day
Weight: up 1 pound -- I usually weigh before I eat, not after

Will continue monitoring these things, without alarm. I have to remind myself that the goal of the program is to reverse diabetes and the lowering of the blood pressure, sugar levels, and weight, are all "side effects." So my goal is not compromised. Whew! These are just statistics. I am continuing on.

I did a "naughty" last night. When I went shopping I knew that I would be allowed to add "whole grain" bread back in the next phase, which starts today. So I bought a loaf of "Ezekial" bread which said it was made from 100% sprouted grains. I also bought a sweet potatoe. That is not the naughty. I did not eat the sweet potatoe, but I did eat 4 slices of bread with a pat of butter and a large TPS of peanut butter on each one before I went to bed. Two bads with one stone (over eating bread, and eating before bed).

It was so good to my mouth and after one slice, I definitely felt the "I'm full" sensation but I had made two, and ate the other one, also. Then a short time later, I made 2 more. I drank a bottle of water with the first 2 and with the second 2. I thought I could "get away" with it, but perhaps I did not. I do not know what the instructions for adding these things are, but I confess, that I am reminded that he has told me many times in the book that they will be added back on day 12, not  day 11 -- so I have one more day to go.

On to day 11. This chapter is about good and bad fats and is a real eye opener for me. He lists saturated fat and monounsaturated fat as the good fats that the body uses; and explains all the ways the diabetic body uses and benefits from these. He lists polyunsaturated fat and trans fat as the "bad guy fat" that we should avoid, and gives very good reasons for that, too.

Did you know that your own body manufactures saturated fats, and that the fats that you eat do not contribute to the fat on your hips or in your veins? The fats that we eat do not trigger an insulin response because, in an of themselves, they are not sugar and do not raise blood sugar levels. It is the sugar that raises the glucose levels, which forces the insulin response. The insulin response then converts and stores as much of the sugar as it can in regular body cells, and any excess is then turned to fat... and stored in fat cells! If your body is insulin resistant, like in pre-diabetes or diabetes, the cells do not take any of the glucose in, and all the sugar then gets converted to fat and you have just created your very own Santa Claus belly and there is no fun and no profit in it at all. Also, as the fat travels around in the blood waiting to get deposited into the fat layers, it is call "triglycerides," which doctors measure when they do a blood test.

Dr. Rip explains which fats are which, what they do to, or for, the body and what foods and oils to get rid of, and which ones to begin consuming more of. Good lists.


The only thing I have in my house that has a bad fat in it is mayo (soybean oil), of which I have always made sure I have a spare bottle. So now I have a 3/4ths finished bottle in the fridge and an unopened one in the pantry. I'm throwing out the unfinished one, right after I glean the recipe as far as possible in order to make my own, homemade version, perhaps with EVOO. I have made it in the past with EVOO, but did not like the flavor. I'm thinking I will like the flavor better now, since I have for a long time been eating and drizzling EVOO on my salads, along with my favorite herbs and spices, for dressing. I am wondering if I should give the unopened bottle to some friends -- but wonder if that is really the right thing to do -- give some unsuspecting people that I love, a bottle of something I won't eat. That sure does not seem like the right thing to do, so I guess I'll throw it out.

Here are the ingredients for the recipe that I will make: one or two raw eggs, a cup or more of EVOO, a little distilled vinegar, no sugar, a little salt, lemon juice, and paprika. Then you put the eggs in a blender and mix. After a minute or so, start slowly drizzling in the EVOO untill it is all gone. Voila: Homemade Mayo. That is pretty easy. I will see if I like it. So far, I have not been using much of it, on the program, anyway, so I might just skip it. I don't know. I will see what happens.

I'm also looking forward to getting the popcorn and preparing it in either sesame or peanut oil, which I have to purchase and which I can use for cooking other things. I do not have a hot air popper. These two oils stand up to high heat better than EVOO which changes into something toxic in high heat.

Well, anyway, Day 11 is a good change and for good healthy reasons. You can read about the fats that hurt and the fats that heal, to help you make informed consumer choices and continue on the voyage to healing and reversing diabetes -- the info starts on page 178.

Be back soon!

--Marcia

Isaiah 61:3  To console those who mourn in Zion, To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; That they may be called trees of righteousness, The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified."

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous information! I even jotted a few things down regarding good & bad fats. I feel like I learned something! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me chuckle with your naughty...11 days I would have done it sooner. Ezechiel bread is the best. Your doing well.

    ReplyDelete

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!