Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 24

Hi,


Today has been hectic but I have not really done anything outrageous. I woke up hungry (unusual for me) and had a hard boiled egg and slice of cheese. Later on I had an avocado and 2 HB egg salad with a little picante sauce -- unusual but not unpalatable. And I just finished eating tuna and walnut salad and most of the day is gone. (That's eating about every 2.5 to 3 hours.) I exercised (12 min on Aerofit and upper body stuff -- but was a little achy with it -- my body is not used to exercising every day and my muscles seem overly tired.) I cleaned the laundry drain and spilled some foaming chemical on the floor behind the washing machine. I got it up the best I could with a broom (the only item that would fit in the space). I hope it does not eat away at the floor. I've been surfing and looking for a job to apply for, too. They are getting fewer and farther between, which means it takes a lot longer to find something I'm qualified for and comfortable with applying for. Along with doing a batch of dishes or two. Eye-yi-yi.

I do not want to mention that I ate a batch of popcorn last night, but I did. 1/4C in a pot with peanut oil made a rather large batch and I ate the whole thing with butter and sea salt. Butter and sea salt are allowed on the program, and popcorn is too, but I was not going to be eating whole grains very often -- but -- the temptation hit me, and I succumbed. I have not gotten rid of it yet. So there you are. If it is in the house you are likely to eat it. I'll have to see if my friend Masa can use the air popper and the popcorn. Or maybe Steve and Linda.

I'm feeling a little nervous and anxious but don't have any real reason to -- other than the job search being frustrating. I did not go to VBS last night either -- perhaps that is why I ate the popcorn. Will be going to regular service tonight. So odd. Yesterday I was so encouraged and today antsy. Will have to read and see what day 24 is all about. Humans are so changeable.

I did some strong praying today for three people that I promised to pray for and felt really in touch with the Lord for them. I also got a prayer team e-mail that had some requests from people going through major things. I won't forget when it finally dawned on me that being part of a prayer team or prayer group means you are going to be told about some major things that people need prayer for. It is like you have a pipeline to people's problems and they depend on you to lift them up to the Lord for healing and restoration. Before that, I was really unaware of how much stuff people go through -- from people's children having major illness and accidents to adults with cancer, to the death of loved ones, and the simply sad and lonely too. They are out there, and they need prayer. So glad that all that is not too big for God!! Sometimes it is too big for me -- but it is never too big for Him. Thank God!! Just sharing that, seemed to lift my spirit a little.


On to Day 24:  Add a support system -- "The 'I' in illness is isolation; and the crucial letters in wellness are "we." -- Mimi Guarneri.  Perhaps not going to church last night was the start of the hamster wheel today.  A support system that is centered around overcoming diabetes would be an excellent idea. I know that what supports me is getting out of the house and going to church and being with other Christians and praising and worshipping and learning about God. And this blogging has certainly made a difference, too. Just getting my thoughts down on paper, so to speak, has opened my eyes to my own habits and it has also been encouraging to see that there are people who are reading and seeking support for themselves. A support group, whether it is sharing with your best friend, or an official meeting that you attend, puts an end to "isolation."

Dr Ripich also has a section called "Set up a "Wisdom Council" on your own" -- with headings like: Talk to your core group honestly, Confess how hard it is to ask for help, Invite them over for a healthy meal and explain what you are doing. Doing these things could help someone else begin to make healthy choices and save their life, too. And don't forget that there is professional counseling available, of which, he recommends that we look for a therapist trained in "cognitive behavioral therapy" (CBT). Again, read the book to get all the details. I'm not in the habit of attending support groups, but I have done it in the past and gotten good out of it. For now, my church family, is my support group. Especially the ladies of "Sweet Fellowship."  We've been meeting together for more than two years and have gotten to know one another, and we pray for one another. And reaching out to others, helps them, as much as it might help you, too.

Leave a comment. Ask a question. I'll be back tomorrow, if the Good Lord is Willing!!


--Marcia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!