Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 14

Hi,

I am tired today. I stayed up late and then got up early to go to church. Church was great and I am glad I went. I am examining my life as a result and have a couple of areas that need to be cleaned up. I'm not going to share about them here, but, I do want to say that the reason I am doing "The 30 Day Diabetes Cure" is because I prayed and asked God to deliver me from the bondage of obesity. I am grateful for this program and hope that in the end it truly delivers on its promises. So far I am seeing good results and want to keep it up.

But... the thing about adding back grains... I guess I am still a little worried. After I wrote that sentence I checked my BP and it is 141 over 83 -- still pretty darn good for me.  Well, so maybe I don't need to worry so much. I feel like I'm going overboard with the whole grains, but maybe I am not. It is so hard to get used to being able to eat bread. I had stopped eating bread when I discovered it was so bad for me, but I simply eliminated ALL bread. I had no idea that whole grain breads were actually good for me.

The book says that the fiber in whole grains digests differently than what happens with white flour. Whole grains do not disrupt your blood sugar because the fiber content slows the breakdown of carbohydrates into sugar. This gives a steady energy release with no sudden spikes and drops. I am practically quoting from the book here, because I need to get this concept into my head. They also talk about "carefully" reintroducing more carbs into your meals but there are no real "guide lines" like I am used to, such as "eat this and this for breakfast" and make sure you only consume "this amount" of whole grains. Perhaps that is truly what is meant by "this is not a diet."

I am finding that the food fills me up, but I think I am still eating a lot of food. Wondering if I am eating too much. I eat about 3 to 4 cups of fresh raw veggies in salad and add some protein, like a handful of walnuts, and about three ounces of cheese cut up in small bite sized chunks. My appetite tells me I want a peanut butter sandwich on whole grain bread with butter too, with it, and since that is on the program, I eat it. I find that I usually have to drink a bottle of water with this sandwich to help process it down the gullet. Dr Rip actually says that when you add fat, such as butter on the whole grain bread, it "slows the absorption of whole-grain carbohydrates even more." I am trying to get a handle on this and make sure I am doing it right because it kind of goes against both conventional wisdom and my personal version of "low carb."

Dr Rip calls whole grains, "diabetes fighters." So I shall continue on the path. All this is evidence that my mind needs to be completely converted to this one -- so I shall apply the "don't look back, just press on for the goal" philosophy and see what happens.

Yesterday we added 30 minutes of exercise 3 days a week as a goal, also. I got on my aerofit and did 12 minutes which included one 45-second burst of me going as fast as I could. I got plumb wore out by 12 minutes and stopped there. I also headed right for the fridge. The breakfast had lasted a long time, but when I did the exercise, I was suddenly ready to eat a horse, but had a huge salad and sandwich instead. I think I am doing it right. I guess I will see. In a normal diet this would be about the point where I would be giving up. But when I open my fridge and see a bowl of hard boiled eggs, many plastic bags of romaine, and spinach, and fresh tiny carrots and portions of a green bell pepper along with celery and cheese and whole grain bread, my larder seems very full. I shall continue and see where I end up. I recall that as I listened to my favorite Christian station on the way home from church I heard the words: "don't give up the faith" and they kind of stuck in my mind as I started to consider that thought.

I thought about "giving up" other things, but not giving up the faith. Of course that is faith in Jesus Christ. I never want to give up my faith in Jesus who has promised never to leave me and never to forsake me. That feels so good. I can give up sugar, but I'm not giving up the faith to keep going. I can give up the bad fast carbs, but I don't have to give up the faith. I think the Lord knew I would be needing that message today, especially after the message about "consecration and faith" that He gave me the other day. Consecration means to give up yourself to God, and faith means to receive all from Jesus, who is God. I cannot carry Jesus on my back, He carries me in His hands. His burden is easy and His yoke is light. He tells all the heavily burdened to come to Him, and He will give you rest. What a wonderful message of hope and deliverance.

On to Day 14: I am beginning to read it now, but will be getting ready to go back to church tonight in less than a hour, so I am not sure how much of this blogging I well get done before I go.  I may finish it when I get back tonight.

Back from church and a visit with friends where we talked about beans, which is the topic of Day 14. I am extremely excited to discover that beans are the most effective diabetes super-food that there is. Dr. Rip says: "Beans are the perfect food for people with diabetes because they regulate blood sugar and improve your body's insulin response. And you can eat your fill without gaining weight. In fact, the more you eat the more weight you'll lose!" You have got to read this chapter. I am convinced that eating at least a 1/2C of beans with every meal will take me in the direction I want to go with my health.

I'm not looking forward to the gas. But Dr Rip implied that after you eat them for a while, your body gets used to them, and produces less gas. I guess I'll be finding out. He also says Bean-O will help.

The thing that makes beans such a super hero of a food is the three kinds of fiber that they have. He quotes studies, gives facts, and basically writes a very convincing chapter. I recommend that you read it to get the full benefit of knowing about beans. I found it fascinating and even a relief. I don't have to worry about the quantities because "the more the merrier."

Be back soon.

--Marcia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!