Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 29

Hi,

Only one more day to go. Yesterday afternoon I noticed the pre-sore throat sensations of a cold coming on and today I have the cold.  Had a bit of a night last night but finally got to sleep this morning. I used the time to add a piece of cloth to the bottom of the dress I made the other day. It needed to be lengthened a little to suit my tastes better, and since I did not have any more of the skirt material, I pieced together a strip that had been taken from the left over t-shirt material and sewed it to the bottom. Now there is a horizontal stripe at the bottom that matches the top of the dress. I think it looks pretty good. I'm happy that I am able to wear it more comfortably.

Had a salad for breakfast, the usual stuff, with two cage free hard boiled eggs for protein. I must say that I am a little disappointed at my reversing diabetes results. As I consider it, the goal for me was to do the program and see how it goes. Now that I am near the end of the 30 days I need to consider what results I was expecting and what results I got. I guess I was expecting to really reverse the diabetes, but I will need my personal doctor's evaluation to really see where I am. Perhaps, for today, I should look on the bright side and be happy for the minimal results that I did get: meaning the blood pressure lowering some, and the loss of a few pounds.

I am going to continue eating this way, because I believe it to be of good benefit. I go tomorrow to the doctor to see the results of the tests she took two weeks ago. I hope to hear good news. I had not realized that "Day 30" and the appointment coincided, but that seems quite appropriate. I shall wait until I get back with the test results to publish the final installment related to following the steps of the book. After that, I am going to go back through the book tweaking and improving things and continue on with numbering the days as a way to keep me on track. (Primary elections for governor in Georgia are being held tomorrow, too, so I intend to get out and vote, too.)

Another good result is that my plumbing is working better. I recall that it worked the best for the few days that I was eating the whole grains, so, that is evidence to me that what they say about the whole grain fiber is true. But since I did not like what the whole grains did to my blood sugar (neither did my personal doctor) and have since eliminated them again, the plumbing is a bit slower, but I am not constipated as I used to be. The fresh raw veggies and the beans seem to keep things going pretty well. I recall from the past that eating a lot of cooked veggies not only slows me down in that area, but raises the blood sugar, too, so while I do not completely avoid them, I keep them to a minimum. 

I think the best result has been the ending of "the clean plate promise" -- I am really enjoying saying, "Let it go uneaten and return to the earth." It really makes me feel free to no longer be stuck to the food or the size of the plate or bowl. I am still grazing in the evenings sometimes rather than cooking a specific meal so that may have to be one of the things I tweak.

On to day 29: Eliminating boredom. I try to avoid reading articles with titles that include the words bored, boring, and boredom -- but am glad I read this one. Dr Ripich gives some very good guidance for letting go of past hurts, through forgiveness, and moving beyond just being the victim of other people's thoughtlessness. It is time to pick up the reigns of your life and start doing something that you have always wanted to do. He balances his advice between getting rid of the junk in the garage and attic with beginning to step out and serve others through volunteering, even if it is only once a month. Take up a hobby you've always been interested in or write those letters to those relatives who don't live on the computer. An actual letter. You know, with a stamp and a return address? He gives lots of good advice on perking yourself up and participating with the life around you. He even talks about getting the focus off of your BP numbers, your diabetes, your self, and getting it onto finding out who needs a little help or encouragement that you can easily give, and then giving it. Read the chapter to get all the specific life changing suggestions that he recommends. Some of them look pretty good to me.

Be back soon

--Marcia

3 comments:

  1. Your awesome, this experience has taught you so much and it is cool to see your transition this past month. I think we tend to over think what truly has been accomplished, you have done some conquering these past 30 days. You took a big step on this program and you changed some hard habits. You also started this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous,

    Thank you very much for your very encouraging words. How thoughtful you are.

    I am glad to see some very good changes have taken place for me out of doing this. Hoping for more to come -- Deo Volente

    ReplyDelete

Hi -- and welcome! Please feel free to make a comment. I'd love to hear from you!